|alryssa||04:21 pm - Apple Butternut Squash Soup|
Delicious, low-fat, lower in sodium, and keeps well in the fridge - in fact, if you cook this up and let it sit for a day or two, the flavours combine even more, giving a delicate, smooth flavour.
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
* 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 small onion, thinly sliced
* 2lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
* 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup unsweetened apple cider
* salt and freshly-ground pepper
Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and lightly browned, about five minutes. Add squash, cover and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add broth, salt and pepper and simmer until softened, about 15-20 minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer solid ingredients to a blender with apple cider and purée until smooth. Add 1 1/3rd cups of the cooking liquid and purée until smooth. Stir back into the pan, and serve hot.
Makes 6 (1 1/2 cup) servings.